Friday, October 21, 2011

Spoiled but not rotten...yet

I am jealous of my baby. She has everything a baby could ever want or need, and so many things that a baby could never imagine wanting or needing, like a down puffy vest with a fur hood, or 100 headbands. Friends and family members come out of the woodworks for her, thinking about her when they're at DisneyWorld, WalMart, Costco, or just when they have a few hours and some extra yarn.  All they expect from her is maybe a smile in return. She's spoon fed food made especially for her, she has her own bank account that multiple people contribute to (!!), people spend all day trying to make her smile and laugh, and her fat rolls are still considered cute. Oh what a life.

You can't see it here, but she's being fanned by oversized leaves
The Force is strong in this one. I knew it before she was born when a State Trooper pulled me over and then quickly let me go with just a warning. She charms people everywhere she goes. She batted her eyes at a fat man at the mall and melted his heart. Old people go bananas for her. Taking her out in public is always an adventure. I just received a package from my aunt with a ton of clothes in her next size up. How great is that?! It included many fleece footie pajamas for Trinity, and one pair for me! We can be twins now! Travis said I should be glad I'm already married. Apparently footed pajamas aren't sexy. Whatevs, I think I rock 'em well. Thanks Auntie!!
Total creeper
Nothing else too new is happening. This is a delightful age though. She's smiling and happy and babbling all the time. She'll grab your face and give you big open-mouthed, slobbery kisses on the cheek, which only a mother could love. And she has a tooth! The bottom right one came in, and it is sharp as hell. If I were still breastfeeding, I would be stopping now. I can already tell it's a little crooked. Time to start saving for braces. She still doesn't crawl, which is a source of worry for Travis, who needs to blame someone for her lack of coordination (everyone but himself). She has no motivation to move. When she learned to roll, she would roll all over the house, but now that novelty has worn off and she's content to just lay or sit on her blanket and talk to her toys. I've come to terms with it. I hope she holds off on the crawling until after Christmas, so I don't have to worry about the tree tipping over, or her being burned by the fireplace.
If you look closely, you can see her little white tooth on the bottom
Oh wait, I lied. Something is new. She got her ears pierced!! And they look adorable if I may say so myself. Before you get all judgy, saying "what if she doesn't want to wear earrings?" please know that I don't care. When she gets old enough to decide, she can take them out if she doesn't want them. All I did was give her the choice without any memory of the pain. She cried for two seconds, and then drank her bottle and went on with her day. I've always worn earrings, so I suspect she'll just do the same. And now no one asks (or assumes) her gender. I'm saving another innocent, well-meaning lady at Costco from getting an earful from Travis when she, for reasons unknown, assumed that our baby in her black and pink car seat, covered by a pink blanket, wearing a sunflower headband, was a boy. She'll never make that mistake again.

Shot of her pretty earrings
In other news, I am still the Absentminded Professor. The whole "pregnancy brain" thing does not go away after having the baby. I forget everything. I probably suck at my job now, which involves very detail-oriented tasks. I lost a bag of frozen green beans. It's been a week and there's no sight of it. For now I'm blaming it on the dog, because who loses green beans? I need to get it together. I'm also giving up on being out after 7 p.m. It just doesn't work. Baby needs her bath and bottle and bedtime or else no one is happy. If we try to veer off her schedule, she notices and promptly becomes Whiney McWhinepants to show her dissaproval. This is saving us money, because we very rarely go out to dinner anymore. I have a feeling this will make Halloween very interesting...

So thank you to everyone who has contributed positively to her life so far. And thanks for loving her almost as much as  we do. We couldn't do it without you.

1 comment:

  1. Katie,

    Was searching for a GF's blog and came across yours. Started reading and came across your post about having your dd's ears pierced at this age.

    I think you're a smart and thoughtful mommy for considering having your dd's ears pierced now. I had similar anguish when I was considering whether or not to pierce my dd's as an infant. Sounds like you were in the same quandry with wondering to do it early or not. Ask our ped and she encouraged me to go ahead when mommy could care for them.

    Our Ped gave me some " Tips for moms having their dd's ears pierced since she had so many moms ask about having their infants and little girls ears pierced.

    I know cerebrally, as mothers of girls of all ages, we know it celebrates their femaleness and femininity. After all, they are little girls, right?

    Promise she'll thank you later for the "gift of pierced ears" as an infant and will look adorable in her upcoming holiday pictures.

    If any other moms would like any of our ped’s tips for piercing, then don’t hesitate to write me an e-mail. They include OTC meds to minimize any discomfort as well as how to find the most experienced person to pierce her ears.


    amyswor@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete