Sunday, September 25, 2011

Catching up

Six Months!!! Holy Crap!!! It's a very bittersweet feeling. I love that she's more like a real human now. She's on a nice schedule, she sleeps through the night, I understand her and can easily figure out what she needs. She laughs, she rolls, she sits for a limited time, she babbles up a storm. But I miss my tiny, new baby! She's growing out of all her clothes! And boy does she have a lot of clothes! I have filled up four huge Costco-size diaper boxes with the cutest newborn to 3-6 month clothes you'll ever see. I don't know what to do with them. I don't plan on having any more children, but what if I change my mind? I guess we are saving them for a good friend who we assume will someday have a baby. I want to make sure I give them away to a baby who I will often see, so I can see her clothes again and relive the days when my baby was that small. Is that weird? Maybe I shouldn't admit that.

This is what she looked like 1 day old.
It's funny that we thought she was sooo cute as a newborn, but now that she's older and we look back at her pictures, I realize that I gave birth to a smooshy little wrinkly alien baby, just like everyone else. So for everyone on Facebook who commented on how beautiful she was: Thank you for lying. I really appreciate it, and I will return the favor. (Of course, in my eyes, she's still the prettiest wrinkly alien baby I've ever seen).

One thing we've learned about her thus far: She's lazy. Or just really smart. Either way she's on track to marry rich. You go girl! Yes, she would like to chew on that teether, but only if you want to hold it in her mouth, because her hands have better things to do. She'd really like to grab that toy just beyond her reach, but crawling to it seems like a lot of work, so she's just going to fake reach and sort of whine until you plop it down in front of her. She loves to eat! But picking up the food or the spoon and bringing it to her mouth is ridiculous! Feed me Seymour! Tummy time? Out of the question. That would require effort. Ok, so maybe we don't have a budding athlete on our hands. 
This is Trinity at 6 months and 1 day
 Trav keeps reminding me that she was born four weeks early, so I need to give her time to catch up. How long can we use the "she was born early" excuse? At some point that has to become meaningless. It's not like she's really missing expected milestones, she just seems to be on the late end of them. It bothers me that other babies her age do more things. Like crawl, or at least rock back and forth. And sit up unassisted. She will sit for a very short period of time, but only if I balance her just right to begin with.

I want to put her in baby boot camp. DROP DOWN ON ALL FOURS MAGGOT!! Get those froggy legs underneath you!! Left, left, left right left! It's time to lose those Michelins!! CRAWL!!

It's not like I think I'll have a 5-year-old who can't sit or crawl, I just want her to do it NOW! I'd also like her to recite the ABCs and say Mama. Or at least moo when she sees a cow. I'm starting to realize that being my daughter is going to be exhausting. I'm sure being my husband isn't any easier. My expectations for the people I love are unrealistically high. Maybe we both have some work to do.

Baby Girl:
If you ever read this, please know that I love you more than anything and I think you are perfect just the way you are.

Love,
Mama (Come on, just say it! Mama!)







No comments:

Post a Comment