Monday, July 25, 2011

The Difference Between Mom and Dad

 Before Baby, Wednesday was known as Trav's Day Off.  Now, it's Daddy Daughter Day. I am thankful for this day, not only because it facilitates important bonding time between the two of them, but because it shows Travis that during the first 6 weeks of her life when I stayed home with her, I wasn't just sitting on my chunky dunk watching soap operas and eating Bon Bons the whole time. It's a lot of freakin' work tending to her needs all day. I was secretly thrilled the first Wednesday he had her alone when I came home from work to no dinner, and the house looked shitacular. He also appeared pretty haggard, like he went on a three-day bender, walking around half-asleep with his black T-shirt covered in baby vomit.

Luckily, he's an awesome dad and loves spending time with her. He does not refer to it as "babysitting." I want to cut dads who think they are babysitting when they are taking care of their own spawn. It blows my mind. You would never hear a mom say they can't go out because they have to babysit. If dads put as much effort into the baby raisin' as they did the baby makin', this world would be a better place.

I know when Trav is alone with her that all of her needs are being met. She's fed, changed and entertained. If she's under my watch or his, there's really no difference in the love she receives. But the way she is dressed is a different story. With me, she wears three to four different outfits a day. Usually some form of tutu is involved. And there's always a headpiece.
 A typical day with Mom:


Yes, she looks absolutely ridiculous. But we're having so much fun! I have to take advantage of her helplessness while I can. Pretty soon she'll start dressing herself, and I'll probably be traumatized by the outfits she puts together. Especially if she takes after her dad.

On Travis' day, they will lounge in their PJs for quite some time. When he gets around to dressing her, it is usually in a one-piece romper because he can never figure out which pants match with a certain onesie. And never is there a headband or hat. Apparently when he asks her if she'd like one, she says, "No Thanks Dad." At least she has manners. One day when I asked why her socks were mismatched, he informed me that when one sock falls off, he just picks up the next sock he sees and puts it on. 

A typical day with Dad:

Who wouldn't want to wear these soft pajamas all day?
I give Travis a hard time, but really I'm sure she's way more comfortable on the days he has her.  I know he's gonna kill me for this, but I just had to share. Last Wednesday when I came home, they were playing Frisbee with our dog Guido in the backyard. When I went out to join them, I instantly knew something was wrong with this picture:

 

No, it's not the fact that there's a kitty in a sailboat fishing for hearts, even though that is also extremely puzzling. The problem is that this bizarre scenery is happening on her back instead of her front. Apparently it was backwards day at our house, and Trinity was the only participant. It makes me giggle to think of the two of them just hanging out all day, both oblivious to the awful wardrobe malfunction going on right in front of them. I quickly pointed out the problem and reminded him: Awkward applique goes in front, buttons go in back. We all had a good laugh.

If this is the only thing I have to worry about on their days together, I'll consider myself lucky. :)

1 comment:

  1. This makes me laugh!! Trinity looks so cute in her outfits! HAHA even if she is scared from them, it was worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete